Gary Zimmer has practiced family law since 1978. He obtained his undergraduate degree in 1972 from Cleveland State University. Gary received his law degree in 1975 from Case Western University. Before establishing his family law practice, Gary focused on commercial and personal injury litigation. He has tried cases to judges and juries. Gary has been a fellow in the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers since January 18, 1992. He previously served as president of the Oregon chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and sat on the national board of directors of the Academy at the same time. Gary is a member of the Oregon Academy of Family Law Practitioners and is one of its past presidents.
Gary has been listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America for 20 consecutive years, and in 2009 received the title of Lawyer of the Year for Family Law. Since 2006, he has been ranked among the Top 50 attorneys in Oregon by SuperLawyers magazine, and has been ranked in the Top 10 lawyers in Oregon in the years 2007, 2009, 2011, and 2012.
Gary's additional professional activities include membership in the Family Law Section of the Oregon State Bar. He is also a former pro tem Circuit Court judge in family law and is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars involving family law issues.
Gary's family law practice is centered on annulments, legal separations, dissolution of marriage proceedings, and appeals of family law cases. Gary is adept at handling and managing complex cases involving business valuations, inheritances, and other difficult issues.
Gary's personal interest include time with his wife and family foremost, jogging, weight training, skating, billiards, alternative rock music, and travel.
Honors & Affiliations
- Best Lawyers in America (Since 1993)
- Oregon Super Lawyers (2007, 2008, 2009)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Fellow (Since 1992)
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Former National Board Member
- American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers - Past President, Oregon Chapter (1997-1999)
- Oregon Academy of Family Law Practitioners - Member and Past President
- Family Law Section of the Oregon State Bar
- Former Family Law Circuit Court Judge, pro tem
- Speaker, Continuing Legal Education Seminars
- J.D. (1975), Case Western University
- B.A. (1972), Cleveland State University