Temporary Relief Lawyers in Portland, OR

Temporary Relief

Temporary Relief Attorneys Portland, Oregon

What Is Temporary Relief?

After a case is filed, but before it is resolved, sometimes it is necessary to ask the court for an award of “temporary relief.” This usually happens when the parties have a dispute about payment of ongoing bills, support, or issues involving children. The court has the power to make an “interim” (temporary) award of custody, parenting time, child support, and spousal support, which will remain in place until further order of the court or until the case has concluded. Under certain circumstances, the court can also award one party the temporary exclusive use and possession of real or personal property. Other temporary relief that a court may award includes imposing an order to ensure neither party does something extraordinary that would impact marital assets and imposing an order keeping the “status quo” regarding each parent’s contact with the children until temporary custody and parenting time can be resolved. If a child is in immediate danger, the court may also award one parent temporary “emergency” custody of that child. The court can also order one party to pay “suit money” to help the other party hire attorneys and experts to help level the playing field in the legal process.

Usually, we will be able to determine early on in your case whether it is necessary to ask the court for temporary relief.

Previous Page